The quadrangle now occupied by the garden called HazuriBagh with a marble Baradari (1818 A.D.) in its Centre, was originally a Sarai built by Aurangzeb, where during the Mughal rule thronged the Imperial cavalcade and armed retainers.image007

The two storey building adjoining the southern gateway (HuzuriBagh Gate) was also originally built in the time of Aurangzeb as a boarding house for scholars. Later on it was used as Abdar-Khana or place for keeping refreshing drinks. During the reign of Ranjit Singh it came to be called Gulabkhana or “Rose water house”. During the British period it was again used as a boarding house for students.

image005

The quadrangle now occupied by the garden called HazuriBagh with a marble Baradari (1818 A.D.) in its Centre, was originally a Sarai built by Aurangzeb, where during the Mughal rule thronged the Imperial cavalcade and armed retainers.

The two storey building adjoining the southern gateway (HuzuriBagh Gate) was also originally built in the time of Aurangzeb as a boarding house for scholars. Later on it was used as Abdar-Khana or place for keeping refreshing drinks. During the reign of Ranjit Singh it came to be called Gulabkhana or “Rose water house”. During the British period it was again used as a boarding house for students.

image006

To the North of the HazuriBagh is the RoshaniDarwaza or the gate of light, one of the gateways of the town. It was the portal through which the nobles passed on their way to the palace. After dark it was brightly illuminated, hence its name. It was near this entrance that Prince Nau Nihal Singh. Son of Kharak Singh and MianUdham Singh, eldest son of Gulab Singh, were killed by the fall of a portion of an archway as they were returning from the funeral of Kharak Singh.